Sunday, October 31, 2010

yours, mine and our habitat

it's been over a month since my last post. i guess with having to spend the most of october based in another nearby location for work and with it being the craziest busiest time of work for me, it didn't leave me much time to sleep, much less do anything else.

but i'm back. and it was a good work trip where though as difficult as it was, eventually everything went well.

to celebrate, we all went out for team drinks well into the night, 2 nights in a row. and as the drinks flowed, on the company account to boot, it was a time of "personal sharing".

new brit guy at work (who really needs a new nickname since he's so not new): so do you have a boyfriend back home?
jo (thinking that she must have mentioned it before but oh well maybe he's just making sure): yeah
new brit guy at work (who shall now be nicknamed "wayne rooney" since he looks like him): are you guys going to stay together?
jo (thinking this is a slightly strange question 'coz really who can guarantee such things right? but oh well he has had like 4 beers by now): er... i guess so?
"wayne rooney": you don't sound very sure... you mean you don't wanna live with him?
da boss woman who jo loves very much: yeah you should always stay together first. i lived with my husband for 5 years before we got married.

and then jo sees the light.

cohabitation. i don't know. i mean practically i can see why it makes sense. you're already spending so much time together, you can't stand to be apart from each other, you're already jumping each other's bones. it makes sense. but at the same time i can also see why it may not be such a good idea. both of you still need some space. statistically (and there must be some stats somewhere...) couples who cohabit don't eventually marry. and not to be all negative nelly but what happens if you guys break up? it can get complicated.

with me and the alpha boy both coming from conservative families who will certainly have heart attacks and disown us should we even think of cohabiting before marriage, the idea of living together first has never been an actual consideration. but i do wonder... what's everyone else's take on this?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 5:26 AM, Blogger Lifebeginsat30ty said...

I think it's just what you're used to. I'd really like to live with someone before I married them (Did with the Ex for 5 years). But I have a friend who waited until the marriage and they have been married 7 years now. Do what you think is right!

 
At 8:11 AM, Anonymous audrey22 said...

Funny I had this convo with one of my girlfriends the other night. Personally, I don't think it's for me but I think it depends on the couple. I have seen people move in together and head straight for marriage and others just shack up forever or eventually break up. I don't think that either way is wrong or right it just depends on the situation and the people involved.

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My older cousin decided to move in with her long time boyfriend of 5 years...then they realized that they were incompatible in the same house...they were planning on getting married too.
Perhaps, you should give it a go.

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I would need to live with someone before marrying them. Gotta test drive that car before you buy it ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home