Sunday, November 07, 2010

he was one of the ones with the only one date

i may not be the girl all the guys want. you know, the kind of girl who always manages to get the guys falling over at her feet in order to just be in the long line of guys waiting to be her man. the kind of girl who inspires men to write songs and poetry. the kind of girl who gets to enjoy the attention of men who will contact her constantly.

that's not me. but that said, i am the girl who, assuming i'm even interested at all, is usually able to make a good enough first impression for a second date.

except for a select few guys. and the other night i ran into one of them.

the motivator happened during the time i was struggling to reconnect with the drummer boy. only a few months after the ad-man just upped and poofed on me despite months of extensive communication and weekly meetups which left me hurt, confused and with a sour taste in my mouth. he was someone where after reading his online dating profile, i had been excited to meet. imagine my elation when he actually seemed to respond favorably. it was hard to have a proper IM chat with him but the few that we had seemed promising.

the actual first date itself didn't start too well what with him not contacting me to let me know the plans till i contacted him after 5pm. but nonetheless, the rest of the evening went well. good enough for me to assume that we would have a second date 'coz afterall i normally get second dates right?

well i was wrong this time. we never really did contact much again. sure there was the odd IM that i initiated but soon after i realised that it was too forced and so i backed off. can't say that i didn't try.

since then he's never really been in my mind. though with the beauty of the online social utility site (of which he and i are on each other's friends list), i knew when he got attached 1-2 years ago and then subsequently engaged to the same girl a few months ago.

i saw them on friday night. she was as pretty as her photos showed. we almost looked like the same "type", only not quite. i've never seen him before since the first and only date. i was with the alpha boy who pulled me into a chocolate store in which they were in. i wonder if he saw me. and even if he did, i wonder if he would remember me.

i almost always remember them. maybe that's the side effect of blogging bout your dates. there's always something there to refer back to and trigger your memory. but somehow i feel that maybe they don't remember me. especially not when they're all happy and loved-up. afterall to them, i'm just a girl they went on only one date with. whereas for me, they're the ones who only wanted one date with me.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 3:00 AM, Blogger Lifebeginsat30ty said...

Eh. I don't think take anything away from this guy or any other one date wonder other than he didn't think you were the one. You could be a great outstanding individual, but if you aren't feeling it than you aren't feeling it. Or maybe this was the universe's way of letting you go so that you could find Alpha Boy? I'm sure he remembered you. Was probably just pretending not to because he knew he's been a passive aggressive jerk by not ending things in an adult way. Whatever, it's in the past and you have alpha boy. What else matters?

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger audrey22 said...

I love the last two lines of this post, partially because it's something I would say :). And even though things didn't progress further than one date, you have to admit that it worked out for the best. You were able to meet and build a relationship with the alpha boy. This guy is just a memory from the past.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger jo said...

oh absolutely i agree that it probably all worked out for the better. i'm not really pining for him, most of those one-date "wonders" have never really been on my mind since. it's just all these things that your brain inevitably thinks of when you run into one such person.

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger Dater at Large said...

Don't you wish there was a way to get the update on all the randoms you dated? Outside of FB stalking, anyway? There are definitely a few guys I wouldn't mind chatting with about what went wrong... just for my own info.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger jo said...

dater at large: haha! i have tried facebook stalking those randoms i dated hahaha! it's funny what you sometimes can find. others seemed to have just vanished off the face of earth... or i didn't actually know their last name...

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I'm the same way. I never forget a date.

 
At 6:16 PM, Anonymous The Relationship Company said...

This can be a really well thought out post. I certainly enjoyed reading it. Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home