Friday, November 12, 2010

of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine

it wasn't a gin joint, more like a hospitality suite in an event related to my industry where i was there, as one might say, scoping out the comptetition. and she was really a he. and technically he didn't walk in, he was seated right there as i walked in.

his side was facing me which explained why i didn't see him at first. besides i was too busy making introductions around the table and sitting down for a chat. and then i turned...

i had to laugh. really i had to. and inside, i did. i hadn't seen him in over 2 years and then suddenly in the short timespan of less than a week, i saw him twice?!

he was with a lady, possibly a client. i'm not entirely sure why he was at the event to begin with since his work doesn't relate to mine at all. but that said, it's one of those events where people bring clients to schmooze with though it remains a mystery how he would have hooked up those hospitality passes as you can't exactly buy those. of 'coz they could have just come from her.

i heard him talk. at least just the sound of his voice. and i remembered exactly why i said that he wasn't that eloquent vocally. in fact it was worst than i remembered. i don't think i could have been able to listen to the sound of his voice for all posterity. i found myself imagining him saying mushy things. yeah, no thanks. i guess that kinda worked itself out.

i still find this funny. the world is entirely too small. especially in my town.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Blogger Toni said...

You are so right, the world is too small. I have spent most of my life in London and Bangkok but met a surprising number of old girlfriends by chance. I have also spent a lot of time in Airline lounges and other cities and bumped into familiar faces there. I put it down to people returning to places or the type of places they met you first time around. Who knows why, maybe nostalgia - I know that I often go to places where I have good memories of someone. Whenever I went to Penang for example, there was a bar and a restaurant I would always go to because I remembered a certain girl I used to go there with.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger jo said...

toni: and what happened to that certain girl you went to that bar and restaurant with in penang? someone special? the one that got away? it's generally hard to find guys who seem as nostalgic as you do.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

It's so weird after enough time has passed that you can look at someone you used to date and wonder what the hell you were thinking. :) It's a good feeling though.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger jo said...

lindsey: haha! that is so true! there have been people who i thought i was so crazy bout but on hindsight, now i just think i must have been crazy haha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home