Friday, February 18, 2011

it's no surprise i feel this way

"babe!!! i'm back from *insert nice resort location*! he used the *insert decidedly not that nice location* golf retreat as an excuse."

and that was the text i received from one very excited sweet & simple girl early Monday morning, valentine's day morning.

she celebrated her birthday over the weekend and the supposed plan was to go with her boyfriend on his company's golf retreat to a nearby location after he had invited her. what she didn't know was that his actual plan was to bring her to a totally different place entirely, stay in a lovely hotel with a gorgeous view and have a romantic time.

i was happy and excited for her. really i was. it was a surprise that she never thought possible given that they have had their fair share of issues in the relationship. but i also have to admit that i did feel a pang of jealousy. it's not wrong to feel like i want that too right?

on valentine's day i happened to be walking towards the office door to head out when a secretary went to answer the door for a flower delivery. she jokingly asked if the flowers were for me and i was amazed at how quickly i said that it couldn't be. turns out they were obviously for someone else. it then hit me that from what i have known and experienced bout the alpha boy and in our relationship, i realised that i had very little hopes that he would even think of planning a surprise for me or even try to romance me. i feel like our relationship is much like one of an old married couple who are so used to each other that the spark has died off instead of a couple who is only nearly 2 years into their relationship. and furthermore, there wasn't ever any romance to begin with.

somehow there's just an unexplainable sadness that i feel. maybe i need more than just someone who treats me well, maybe i need some romance and excitement in the relationship too.

7 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Rapunzel said...

Finally I've sussed out how to follow you!

Yes you should definitely have romance and excitement - it's what we all deserve!

Rapunzel x
*Tales from the Tower*

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger jo said...

rapunzel: haha! thanks for being so determined in trying to figure out how to follow me :P

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Amanda @ Wild Oats said...

Creating romance in a relationship is just sooo hard for some people. But I completely understand your need for it. Seems as though you're at a point where you're really trying to analyze your relationship and try to figure out if there is potential for you guys to last. I hope that whatever the outcome, you are first and foremost, happy. =)

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger Dater at Large said...

You've been doing a lot of relationship comparisons as of late... I agree with Amanda, I hope you end up happy after your analysis is complete. And (selfishly) I hope you blog about anything you figure out, so I can apply it to any future relationship I might have!

 
At 3:53 AM, Anonymous freckledk said...

You should have everything you want. Being treated well and feeling adored are two different things entirely. I hope that you find a way of getting both.

 
At 3:27 AM, Anonymous Pam said...

Please don't settle. If there wasn't any romance to begin with, there never will be. I found that romance with one man, that didn't work out back then. I met another, who became my husband. I felt comparing him was not fair to him, when I should have been fair to me.
I missed the romance "the hearts & flowers" as I called it. And because of who I was with, all the "little" things became romantic, because we appreciated them with each other.
I settled and am still married but so unhappy. I made a bad decision because he did/does treat me well, very supportive and loves me. I'm tired of living with a "buddy" I want the romance, I deserve the romance.

SO DO YOU!!

Good Luck!

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, Jo. But you know, most guys are clueless and unless he has a very involved sister in his life, he probably has no idea what to do. Maybe drop a hint or something? Put on a romcom and talk about how cute it was when so-and-so did such-and-such for his girlfriend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home