Friday, March 18, 2011

the leprechauns must have been out to play 'coz this girl was

there are times when i actually remember st patrick's day but this year wasn't one of them. it didn't even occur to me until my colleague pointed out that i was wearing green and made it seem that wearing green that day was particularly significant.

so when she asked me and some other colleagues to join her and her friends at the irish pub for drinks to celebrate a friend's birthday, i readily agreed. afterall i'm already wearing green right? it would be such a terrible waste.

i wound up having a pretty good time. i tried guinness on black (which is supposed to be with blackcurrant syrup) and snakebite for the first time. i hung out chatting with her friends, relishing the chance to once again bring back the sparkle mode that stayed dormant for so long and happily noting that the birthday boy (he turned 29 years old which makes him totally age appropriate for me) was a rather attractive guy who i would have definitely faniced.

unfortunately i couldn't stay long. but as i left, i couldn't help but had this feeling that i needed more of this. i missed this. it was just like old times, but with new people. the excitement was like a rush for me. and i enjoyed being in the company of fun and interesting people having a laugh and shining in that sparkle mode.

6 Comments:

At 11:14 PM, Blogger Dater at Large said...

Don't you and the Alpha Boy meet up with pals for impromptu after work drinks? That seems to be one of the habits my coupled-friends haven't left behind (well, the ones without kiddos, anyway) and is definitely one of the reasons I've been able to stay such good friends with them... especially since I can't double date.

 
At 1:39 AM, Anonymous belle said...

Call me crazy, but me thinks you are getting bored with Alpha Boy, and it's only a matter of time before you walk. He sounds like a good guy, but sounds like you feel like you may have outgrown him?

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger jo said...

dater at large: unfortunately we don't do that. though to be fair, both of us seldom have impromptu after work drinks with friends. recently it's happened more for me as i have fairly alcoholic colleagues and some of them were in and out of town. occasionally i have invited the alpha boy to join us.

belle: you're probably not entirely crazy. it's true that i am a bit bored. and part of it could also be 'coz i've always been pretty social whereas the alpha boy is an introvert who doesn't play well with others and prefers to keep to his own friends who don't really do any fun things either. but finances is also another part of it as the alpha boy has been going through a patch of bad luck in jobs which has also taken a fair bit of energy on his part to deal with. and with finances being tight, it's hard to do any fun things as well.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Springtime will bring about a change of scenery. I think people tend to hibernate in the winter when it's cold and nasty out. I think you'll find more opportunities sooner than you think!

 
At 3:39 AM, Anonymous Christine said...

Hi Jo,
I absolutely love your posts! I do digital PR for another dating site called Badonlinedates.com. We are currently exploring mutually beneficial content sharing opportunities with writers like you. I think you would be a terrific fit. I couldn't find your contact info. But I can be reached at BODChristine@gmail.com

Look forward to speaking with you!

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally feel you! I love the excitement of meeting new friends and having new experiences!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home