Friday, July 20, 2007

misunderstandings and mixed signs

last night i was online with the french banterer briefly. per usual he got into his joking around of the usual variety. somehow i mustn't have been in the best of moods to entertain him. so i kinda told him off a bit that i was a lil tired of him trying to test me half the time.

i think that he must have gotten angry or something 'coz he went rather quiet. and then later he explained that he was just teasing me and not testing me. and that there was a difference. i don't know. maybe french for teasing is everyone else's testing.

anyhow i'm gonna just lay low for a while. i reckon i'm still supposed to meet him on sunday. somehow i think it's better when we meet up face to face as opposed to IMing.

the joke of it all is that he realised that i came back on the online dating site. so instead of getting any new winks or messages, what i got instead was an email from him via the online dating site that he 'saw my announce'. (*note there was no announcement of any kind but i think he just meant that he saw me back on the site)

****

i was IMing with shy (now ex) colleague who like any good friend of mine, is aware of the kind of going ons with my family friend's setup. i told him that my family friend's setup asked if i could teach him this weekend how to swim more effectively. not that i have good authority on that. but just that i swim more than he does. i didn't take it to mean all that much though shy (now ex) colleague pointed out that my family friend's setup was trying to put in some effort and that him asking for 'lessons' was a smart way to continue to see me more by asking for more 'lessons'.

i'm not sure if i believe him. then again, he is a guy...

i guess i still can't tell if the meeting ups with my family friend's setup are with purely platonic intentions or bordering on the maybe future not quite platonic kind.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger Scotty said...

If it were me, I wouldn't want to pigeon hole myself into multiple 'lessons' without knowing the person. Although it might be a good way to continue on... hopefully if you are not into him he will 'get it' and not press on. Who cares about the family friend setup.. you meet someone new, and you never know - he may have cool friends :)

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger MPA said...

As a French-speaker, I can confirm that teasing & testing can be hard to distinguish... I have a similar problem with English sarcasm, actually. And in both cases, even though I understand the person doesn't mean exactly the meaning of what they're say, the fact that they've thought of it often suggests there is a grain of truth behind it. Just my opinion. Also, the word for "ad" in French is "annonce" - as in "personal ad", so that's probably what he meant.

And why has no one mentioned the obvious: maybe the family friend's setup just wants to see you in a bathing suit?!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger jo said...

mpa: oh this makes a whole lot more sense. i think maybe the reason we get along better face to face is 'coz at least we can hear each other's tone and see each other's reactions as compared to IM or texting.

btw you're so right bout mentioning the bathing suit thing. hahaha! honestly i'm a lil nervous bout that. but hey if he gets to see me, i get to see him too. though i'll probably be too shy to give him a proper look haha! i've touched his arm before... nice strong muscles... hmm... haha!

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Crashdummie said...

dunno what to say, it all seems very blurry for me.

But then again, I'm not the right gal to ask, I'm gonna start a monestry.. interested? :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home