Wednesday, June 02, 2010

all the single ladies

last night i caught sex and the city 2 with my best friend's sister who (since she's 8 years younger) i've watched grow up and especially since my best friend moved away over 5 years ago, has since become a friend and movie buddy.

a lil background on my history with sex and the city... i somehow managed to avoid watching the tv series till it was past it's 5th season. not on purpose, i was just somehow never exposed to it and didn't too much bout it. it was only till i was based in an office where the after work hours included a short break in front of the tv and breaking out sex and the city season 5 dvds did i start to fall in love with the series.

i then made it a point to watch it from the beginning. it took a while but i managed to complete the entire series. being a single girl, i loved how it addressed all the issues of single women. i could relate to it. even though i was in my 20s, i hung out with my party girl and the yummy mommy who were in their 30s and seemed to live their life (though not half as glamourously) similar to the sex and the city ladies. sure, it probably did give me a dose of "girl power" though in my heart i kinda knew that i never really wanted to be those girls' shoes (at least not with their issues, their physical shoes however, a resounding yes).

i liked the movie. i'd go so far as to say that i probably liked it more than the first one. i especially liked how the movie showed progression. i reckon it wouldn't have been enough if it were simply stuck in the "single" mould. sure, there was still plenty of wild single sex (and most of it between samantha's thighs), but i felt that the movie dealt more with married life and the issues that comes along with it.

it was a good quality chick flick that i think even the guys getting dragged by their partners might somewhat appreciate.

to end the evening, my best friend's sister and i wound up having a pretty good chat over dessert where she informed me that last friday she broke up with her boyfriend of 4 years 'coz they both felt that they needed to date other people in order to know if they are ever meant to be together. and then i found myself explaining to her the challenges of dating and the single life in this day and age.

7 Comments:

At 6:08 PM, Blogger Toni said...

Can honestly say I have never seen an episode of sex and the city. I have also never understood womens obsession with shoes although I will admit mine were all handmade and cost a fortune, still the last a lifetime and are all exactly the same, (black oxfords). The only chick flick I really enjoyed was Spanglish, but maybe that is just because I have a major crush on Penelope Cruz. Oh, the forst Bridget Jones movie was good as well.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger jo said...

toni: i'm sure most men would share your sentiments and lack of interest in SATC. i only know a select few straight guys who would voluntarily watch it and actually enjoy it. what a man haha! spanglish isn't a chick flick. but bridget jones would count. not bad :)

 
At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never seen Sex and the City, I have so many series waiting for me to watch, adding another one would be too much. ^_^

 
At 6:40 AM, Anonymous audrey22 said...

Can't wait to see the movie this weekend! Glad to know its as good as the first

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger jo said...

treedome: what other series do you watch? i'm a massive tv addict haha!

audrey: just go with no expectations though... always makes for better movies :)

 
At 3:25 AM, Blogger joelcrenshaw said...

email me at joelcrenshaw@ymail.com

 
At 3:06 AM, Anonymous Senior Dating said...

Yeah its very good like first one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home