Wednesday, February 06, 2008

a peek back in the virtual world

sometimes i wonder why i bother with online dating. i mean i just find it tiring. the looking through of guys' profiles to find someone interesting to start 'communicating' with. the sieving out of emails, IMs and winks of interested guys who were mostly uninteresting and obviously didn't read the section on what i was looking for in a guy.

tiring.

of 'coz that's not to say that i didn't meet some nice guys who i think i could actually be friends with. nevermind if we will ever actually maintain that friendship once he finds a girlfriend and loses interest.

but as far as the all important sparks go... there was never any real sparkage felt for any of the guys i met online.

so recently why did i even bother attempting to give online dating another go?

well i think in part it was 'coz the realisation hit me that i hadn't been on a 'date' since mid november. a look at the list of guys in the right panel of this blog said it all. and frankly if i was counting an actual proper 'date', it would date back even further than mid november.

sure there have been guy happenings ever so often. but it's been all random. and i'm probably reaching the age where i should try and be less random.

another reason is that i realised how things have changed for the friends around me. my good friend is getting married in 3 weeks time. my best friend is moving in with her boyfriend. other good friends are already married. some just bought new houses. everything is changing. and i feel like i'm left behind.

like i'm left on the shelf.

that was why i logged back into the online dating site. but as i attempted to search through the profiles, i didn't get too far when i got tired of it again and started wondering why do i even bother.

but what i forgot was that once i log in, i automatically move up the ranks of someone else's search. which meant that i had a few winks, emails and IM adds within a half hour of my logging in. and already i've vetoed half the winks, emails and IM adds.

the only person who was somewhat interesting is a 24 year old bioengineering university student. he's witty, eloquent and somehow our IM conversation just flowed naturally as though we've been talking for ages. if nothing, it's good to have someone i can just talk to.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 11:29 PM, Blogger Miss Pickle said...

It's always nice to have someone to talk to...gives you a nice little ego boost!

But I feel your pain on the online thing...majority of the time it seems like such a waste. Here's hoping you find someone that fully grabs your attention!

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger Scotty said...

if nothing, it's good to have someone i can just talk to.
Oh so true...

 
At 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh! I can't wait to hear how this round goes! You can meet some quality guys that way! Fingers crossed for you!

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger The Ambiguous Blob said...

It's nice to find a connection- whether it's a friend of future lover.

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger DChéri said...

My friends have been pushing me to try the whole online dating thing...and, I'm just skeptical. I don't know why, but I just don't understand how I can meet any quality guy over the internet. I guess a part of me is scared that I will meet some weirdos or will spend most of my time sifting through a bunch of duds to find a diamond in the rough...and then if i find him, what if he's not interested? I guess, I should just try it and see what happens..you never know, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home