Monday, March 26, 2007

the single girl's solo night out

it's strange how sometimes even though you're technically doing social stuff it can still feel like you're not having a social life.

saturday was one of 'em days.

i was so entirely bored on saturday night that i just had to get out. nevermind that the day started off early for me nor that i had a recently sprained ankle or that i couldn't actually find a friend to hang out with. i just needed out.

so i decided to make my way to the bar that i usually frequent. it's a cozy lil hole-in-the-wall place where i knew the owner and the bartender (dj guy who i just found out is attached) and knew that i would feel comfy there even in my lonesome.

turns out that essentially it was just the 3 of us. and we all wound up lying on the pool table sleeping and/or watching sports on the tv.

i was bored. but it was definitely better than being bored at home.

however i figured it was a good idea to text the youngest one and then subsequently to call him. he was pretty friendly though not particular engaging. then again he was watching his cartoons and heading to bed soon.

i was getting increasingly bored despite that by this time a few girls and guys had entered the bar. just when i was bout to leave, this aussie guy chatted with me. somehow we just got along really well, chatting bout so many different things and i just felt so comfy with him. so i changed my mind and decided to stay.

he's a podiatrist which was a really choice time given my sprained ankle. and he's also really sporty and has done triathlons. so he gave me tips on how to promote a faster healing to my ankle as well as how to overcome some of my foot structure problems.

he's also 24 years old. yes, how do i still manage to pick 'em younger guys? haha!

apparently we got along so well such that his guy friends had to pull him aside for a while and tell him that one of the girls they were with was pretty upset with us. turns out his guy friends' girlfriends was fixing him up with their friend. they were all at their house party earlier so i'm guessing they should have had plenty of time to chat then. however he isn't even interested in her and told me that she isn't his type. i wonder what's his type. physically he isn't really my type. he's definitely cute though barely taller than me and waay too muscular. but he's just really nice and easy to talk to.

anyhow i went home in a really happy mood... and slightly tipsy. which is when i made the decision to give it a last try with the youngest one...

jo: you know what? i think i like you... or maybe i'm just a bit drunk haha!

i don't even know why i told him. out of all my tipsy texting in life (and i really try not to and haven't done any in a while), i've never actually told anyone that i liked him before. but at the same time it felt so freeing. like at that instance when i told him, i let go.

he didn't reply.

which in some way i suppose i got my reply. but i still felt free. maybe i found the cure to liking someone. telling him. or maybe it was from meeting someone new.

by sunday, i still didn't hear from him and when the alcohol wore off, i felt a need to explain...

jo: oh man...just ignore everything i said last night... i was a lil drunk haha!
the youngest one: haha.. i guessed as much you were kinda gone.. haha.. no worries

then we proceeded to have a bit of a chat over text messaging. it felt nice and normal again.

and anyhow all wasn't lost... the aussie podiatrist asked me out for a movie and dinner on sunday. and it was really great fun. we seemed to have expressed interest in hanging out again. but i can't tell if it's just platonic?


lessons learnt:

1. it's freeing to tell someone you like that you like 'em. hmm maybe i should do it more often?
2. the best way to cure yourself from liking someone is to tell him
3. if that doesn't work, find someone new
4. maybe i should head out alone more often haha!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger Dan said...

I didn't think doctors could be doctors by age 24...

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Dizzie said...

You're such a youngguy/libido magnet!
Feeling Demi yet? :D

ryc: I don't like my um-friend very much myself right now... *sigh*

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Nachi said...

Good for you!! Have fun on your date!

 
At 2:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi everyone,

I just designed a new dating website that I hope you will enjoy. It will go live in about 2 months.

Meet-n-speak.com

I put a new twist to online dating--the ability to speak to other members--right from your own computer.

If you find someone you like, you can request to voice chat with them if they are online.


All you need is a mic and headphones.

There is no cost. Ever! 100% free.

check it out!

Again, I am going live in 2 months but I want to have members create their profiles beforehand.

Have fun!

Thanks!

 
At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's crap going out alone. I've just made a pact to stay single for a year, after being hounded by married guys for too long. I needed to put myself out of the 'loop' of finding a decent guy to spend my loving time with, and so made my decision. The only problem is that now I'm not interested, there's a few really nice guys coming out of the woodwork. Typical huh! But I'm secretly dreading the going out alone bit - all my friends are paired up and my options seem ridiculously closed - cinema, swimming, joining damned evening classes! Pseudo Dater - you're a brave girl - can I come out with you??!!!!
I work for a magazine and now my editor wants me to go and research the singles scene in London - which is slightly easier when you're NOT interested in potential love interests. Speed dating was horrendous - never again. See what happened at http://sophie-stayingsingle.blogspot.com/2007/05/chapter-ten.html
Hell.
On earth...
And yes - I really DID go.

xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home